Coronavirus numbers are rising. The national hospital is now at the limit of its staff capacity. The difficult pandemic situation again exposes the underfunding of health care and problems with personnel, but also the lack of quality control in the area of decision – making at the hospital level-says Dr., currently a member of the Medical Council for the Covid-19 pandemic and head of the Department of anesthesiology and intensive care of the Central Clinical Hospital.
Has the motivation to work also changed?
In a crisis situation, a mechanism is often triggered in which unskilled people in decision-making positions have more say and value their skills more than competent people. It’s a well-known Dunning-Kruger effect in psychology. The cause of self-confidence is more often ignorance than knowledge.
This, by the way, is also an important reason for staff shortages, because doctors emigrate abroad, looking for opportunities for honest development and respect. If a subordinate develops, then the effectiveness of the whole team increases, the superiors gain. In Poland, such an increase in competence is usually regarded by the so-called higher levels as a threat.
– Mine hasn’t changed. Being a doctor, as my grandparents taught me, is more than a profession. Yes, people go to medical school, because they are tempted by high salaries, which are due for bearing a lot of responsibility for the health of the “client”.
However, it must be remembered that if you want to have a so-called social position, then this estimate must result from something. It comes not only from the weight of decisions that are made and that concern the patient, but also, sometimes, from personal risk. The Coronavirus outbreak in Poland has highlighted this element.
Vaccination for healthcare professionals
Who can be reported in step ” 0″. In the so-called ” 0 ” stage, those eligible for vaccination in nodal hospitals are (as of 18.12.2020):):
- employees of the nodal hospital,
- staff of other health care providers, including sanitary and epidemiological stations,
- employees of social welfare houses and Municipal Social Welfare Centres,
- employees of pharmacies, pharmacy points, points of supply of medical devices,
- pharmaceutical wholesalers, including companies transporting medicines,
- medical staff and medical students,
- persons employed in medical, nursing and Midwifery, pharmacy and laboratory
- diagnosticians and physiotherapists,
- non-medical staff, i.e. administrative, auxiliary (regardless of the form of employment), also volunteers, trainees, etc. these facilities.
Until December 28, the collection of lists of staff and patients of care institutions is also ongoing. Employees of spas and non-hospital (e.g. oncological) hospitals can also apply for vaccination up to this date. This also applies to non-medical staff. As explained by the Ministry of health to vaccinate in the ” 0 ” stage can also be: employees of accounting in the hospital, but also employees of the company cooperating with the medical facility, e.g. suppliers or security personnel.
How does nodal hospital work?
The nodal hospital creates two lists of applicants for vaccination. One includes the staff of this hospital, the other persons from the entities that have notified the persons to be vaccinated. The hospital then determines the schedule of vaccinations based on information on vaccine supplies obtained from the agency for material reserves. The hospital carries out vaccinations and an appointment for the second dose of the vaccine.