December 2011 Edition
For details on items featured in this issue, visit www.aameda.org or call 847/759-8601.
What’s New: Check “renew your AAMA membership” off your holiday to-do list • Coming soon — AAMA JobLink is EXPANDING! • Plan now for 2012 ACCA Conference • Strategic Partner news• Share your expertise; contribute to your profession: Submit an abstract to present a session at 2012 AAMA Annual Conference • Look for the January 2012 issue of AAMA Executive Online
Members in the News: Congratulations to the 2011 AAMA “Lions of Leadership” • A big thanks to all 2011 Gain-1 Sponsors • Kudos to Gary P. Riedman • In Memoriam: John P. Ford, Jr.
AAMA Credentials: Advancement • CAAMA exam options • Recredential information
AAMA Conferences and Education: Conference calendar
Spotlight on AAMA Benefits: Vital Link™ • JobLink job postings
l l l l l
Check “renew your AAMA membership” off your holiday to-do list. Continue your access to networking opportunities, dynamic education options, top-notch credentials, and more. Save the Academy administrative costs and renew early via your invoice, online or by calling 847/759-8601.
Coming soon — AAMA JobLink is EXPANDING! New benefits for job seekers: many more job listings, ability to post resumes at three levels of confidentiality, resume assistance, and more. New benefits for employers: posted jobs viewable on other medical association sites, access to resume bank, increased opportunities for multi-listing discounts, and more.
Plan now for 2012 ACCA Conference: Register; Details for Award of Excellence nominations, scholarship applications and poster session abstracts:
• Registration is open for 2012 ACCA Cardiovascular Administrators’ Leadership Conference, Wednesday – Friday, March 21 – 23, 2012, Doubletree by Hilton Chicago – Magnificent Mile, Chicago, IL. Finding Balance offers inspiring sessions to refresh your perspective on the complexities of being a CV administration leader.
• ACCA Award of Excellence in Cardiovascular Administration nominations due December 15: This award is presented annually by AAMA and ACCA. It recognizes a cardiovascular administrator who has contributed significantly to the improvement of cardiovascular care and the advancement of cardiovascular administration. Click here for complete details and nomination form.
• Apply for scholarship to attend ACCA Conference by February 1, 2012: Scholarships are for tuition only. Applicants must be AAMA members in good standing. Applications will be considered based on financial need, as well as professional growth and participation. Click here for application.
• Submit a poster session abstract by February 15, 2012. Abstracts should fall within one of the following categories: Research, Operations, Clinical or Educational Projects, and include: (1) Title, (2) Purpose, (3) Specific Aims, (4) Methods, (5) Results, (6) Conclusions and (7) Implications for advancing the field of knowledge related to healthcare management. Click here for complete details.
Strategic Partner news: Paragon Health acquired by Navigant Healthcare; Access Strategic Partners’ websites via AAMA’s homepage: • Paragon Health, Southlake, TX, a Silver Level AAMA Strategic Partner became part of Navigant Healthcare in October.
• Now members can easily access links to many of AAMA’s Strategic Partners on
• AAMA’s Strategic Partners are nationally recognized organizations that share AAMA’s commitment to providing exceptional education, a vigorous healthcare community and practical tools for success. Their time, dedication and financial support benefit AAMA, our members, and their patients. For more details, click here.
Share your expertise; contribute to your profession: Submit an abstract to present a session at 2012 AAMA Annual Conference, November 13-16, 2012, in San Antonio, TX. Deadline for abstracts is February 29, 2012. Click here for submission form and details.
Look for the January 2012 issue of AAMA Executive Online in your inbox soon, featuring peer-reviewed articles: Importation of Prescription Drugs; Inshallah and Its Effects on Creating an Emergency Operations Center at the Paktia Regional Military Hospital; Should Embryonic Stem Cell Research Be Permitted?; and The Transition from ICD-9 to ICD-10 Coding: How HealthCare Providers Should Implement the New System; a book review of Quicksilver: A Revolutionary Way To Lead the Many and the Few – Beginning with YOU, as well as College news, Academy updates, and leadership lessons for your career and organization.
Members in the News
Congratulations to the AAMA 2011 “Lions of Leadership”. During AAMA’s Annual Meeting in Scottsdale, AZ, the following AAMA members were recognized for their achievements.
• AAMA Healthcare Executive of the Year: Margaret A. O’Grady, RN, MSN, OCN, FAAMA, Senior Director, Fox Chase Cancer Center Partners Program, Rockledge, PA.
• AAMA Distinguished Service Awards: Robert C. Bonds, MA, BS, FAAMA, Director, Business Development, URORAD Healthcare in McAllen, TX, and Linda R. Larin, MBA, FACCA, FACHE, Chief Administrative Officer, University of Michigan CV Center, Ann Arbor, MI.
• Vanguard Award: Linda R. Larin, MBA, FACCA, FACHE.
• Richard A. Harley Diplomate of the Year Award: Col A. Adolphe Edward, DrHA, CFAAMA, FACHE, Chief, Medical Support Division, Pacific Forces in Hawaii, USAF, currently stationed at Hickam Air Force Base in Hawaii.
• Chairman’s Award: Guy L. Snyder, RRT, MHA, PAHM, CFAAMA, Director of Education, American Academy of Medical Administrators, Des Plaines, IL.
• YC Parris Young Federal Healthcare Executive of the Year: Lt Col Mary Ann Garbowski, CFAAMA, Commander, 30th Medical Support Squadron, USAF, Vandenberg Air Force Base, CA.
• Captain Thaddeus F. Levandowski Achievement in Healthcare Administration Award: Deborah A. Gilbertson, PhD, CFAAMA, Program Director, Basic Healthcare Administrator Course, U.S. Army Medical Department, San Antonio, TX.
• AAMA Student Research Paper of the Year Award: Hanadi Y. Hamadi, Doctoral Student, Arnold School of Public Health, University of South Carolina, and Schaeffer Charles, MHA, David Lutz, MHA, and Samantha Stalley, MHA, of The Pennsylvania State University.
For complete details about the awards and the award recipients click here.
A big thanks to all of the 2011 GAIN-1 sponsors, 41 in total, who brought a total of 79 new members aboard. Congratulations to the 2011 GAIN-1 top recruiter, Bruce W. Hammond, CFAAMA, for encouraging a record 29 new members to join this year. The 2012 GAIN-1 program has officially kicked off, and we are looking forward to another great year. Visit our website today for more details.
Kudos to Gary P. Riedman, FAAMA, President and CEO of St. Anthony Regional Hospital in Carroll, IA. Riedman was unanimously selected as the Iowa Hospital Association (IHA) Board Chair by its delegates. He has been a member of AAMA since 1984 and served as Chairman of the Board in 1999.
In Memoriam: John P. Ford, Jr., FAAMA, of New Bedford, MA, died October 29. He served in the U.S. Army Medical Service Corps for 17 years, followed by the Army Reserves. After retirement, he was the Director of Facilities for the Greater New Bedford Community Health Center, where he was recently recognized with a twenty year excellence award. He was a member of AAMA since 1980, and earned his FAAMA in 1988, of which he was “most proud”.
Give yourself a gift: verify your dedication to healthcare administration with an AAMA credential.
Take the time now to apply to advance to FAAMA, FACCA, FACCP, or to Diplomate status. Kudos to the following members who recently earned their credentials: LCDR Willie J. Brown, FAAMA; Lt Col Lisa A. Moore, CFAAMA; and LT Erica L. Thompson, CFAAMA. The Academy also congratulates new Diplomate in Healthcare Administration: LTC William T. Echols, CFAAMA.
End your year by signing up to take the CAAMA exam. Choose the CAAMA exam option that works for you: online, or at a time/place convenient for you. Put the distinctive CAAMA credential after your name, add to your resume and boost your career. Sign up to take your exam today.
Last month to recredential your hard-earned CAAMA earned or recredentialed in 2008: The deadline to recredential is December 31, 2011. Recredentialing application and point form available online.
AAMA Conferences and Education
• 2012 ACCA Cardiovascular Administrators’ Leadership Conference, March 21 – 23, 2012, Chicago, IL
• 2012 ACOA Oncology Update
, June 20 – 22, 2012, Chicago, IL • 2012 AAMA Annual Conference , November 13 – 16, 2012, San Antonio, TX
Spotlight on AAMA Benefits
Take advantage of YOUR AAMA Vital Link™, hundreds of your colleagues available 24/7 to help you work through your toughest quandaries. Log in today.
Get a jump on your 2012 job or employee hunt now. Check out these JobLink current listings: • Associate VP – Heart & Vascular Services, Duke University Health System, Durham, NC • Vice President of Clinical Services, St. Joseph’s/Candler Health System, Savannah, GA • Director of Oncology Services, UC Davis Health System, Sacramento, CA • Administrative Director – Post Acute / Rehab / Neuro / OR, Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital of Dallas, Dallas, TX • Department Director – Cardiac Cath Lab/EP, CSS & ECHO, Borgess Medical Center, Kalamazoo, MI • Administrative Director, Oncology Services Line, Iowa City, IA • Vice President of Hospital Services, West Tennessee Healthcare, Jackson, TN • Director of Heart, Lung and Vascular Services, Dallas, TX • Vice President, Administration and Community Physician Enterprise, Northwest Hospital, Randallstown, MD • Nationwide Cardiovascular Opportunities, Magee Resource Group • Julia E. Williams, Oncology Specialist, JW Friday, Hooker & Associates
l l l l l
Was the content in this issue useful? Do you have suggestions for improvement? Email your feedback to AIM Editor, Laura Bowles, MBA, to let us know what you think. If you know members who do not receive this newsletter or AAMA’s other e-communications, forward their name and email address to [email protected]
AIM is an electronic publication of the
American Academy of Medical Administrators 701 Lee Street, Suite 600, Des Plaines, IL 60016
Phone: 847/759-8601; Fax: 847/759-8602; www.aameda.org; [email protected]