AIM: Academy In Motion
October 2005 Edition
l l l l l
An electronic publication of the
American Academy of Medical Administrators
Developing Excellence in Healthcare Delivery and Leadership
Renew Your Membership Today. Don’t Miss Out on Exclusive AAMA Benefits.
For details on AAMA programs, events and members in the news, visit www.aameda.org or call 847/759-8601.
Issue Highlights (click on item for direct link to article)
· Membership Renewals in the Mail; Don’t Forget to Select Your Primary Specialty Group
· New Conference Session: Lessons from the Gulf Coast
· Vital Link’s™ Nine Listserves Focus on AAMA’s Seven Specialty Groups, Hurricane & Leadership Issues
· AAMA Regional Directors Elected; New Alaska State Director
· AAMA Welcomes Philips Medical Systems, Newest Strategic Partner
· Get Published; Submit an Article or Book Review to The AAMA EXECUTIVE
Spotlight on AAMA Conferences/Education
· Reminder: There’s Still Time to Register for 48th AAMA Annual Conference, Las Vegas
· Register for November 10 AAMA Pre-Conference on Pay-for-Performance Programs and Evidence-based Medicine
· Mark Your Calendar for 2006 ACCA and AAMA Annual Conferences
AAMA’s Credentials Programs
· Join New Fellows & Further Your Career by Advancing in the Academy
· Register by October 14 to Take the November 9 CAAMA Exam at AAMA Annual Conference in Las Vegas
· CAAMAs Who Earned Their Credential or Recredentialed in 2002 Must Recredential This Year
Members in the News
· GAIN-1 Member Recruitment Program’s Top Champions Named
· October’s Member Accomplishments
· Check Out October’s JobLink Postings
Renew Your Membership and Select Your Primary Specialty Group to Access Exclusive Benefits
· Renew your membership today to save the Academy administrative costs.
· Don’t miss out on exclusive benefits tailored to your healthcare specialty. Select one of AAMA’s seven Colleges as your primary specialty group, and join any or all of the Academy’s specialty groups at no extra charge.
Lessons from the Gulf Coast: Preparing American Healthcare to Weather Future Disasters, Friday, November 11, 5:30-7:00 pm at the 48th AAMA Annual Conference in Las Vegas
· From the eye of the storm and with an eye to the future, find out how recent events have impacted patient care, healthcare delivery, and healthcare systems. Attend this bonus session at the 48th AAMA Annual Conference.
· Earn one AAMA credit towards CAAMA or FAAMA PAD points.
Vital Link’s™ Nine Listserves Focus on AAMA’s Seven Specialty Groups, Hurricane & Leadership Issues
Without leaving your desk, you have immediate access to AAMA colleagues to gain or offer information or to brainstorm solutions to knotty problems. AAMA listserves now represent nine communities of interest – for our seven specialty groups + leadership issues and the recent hurricanes. To participate:
1. Logon to Vital Link™ at www.aameda.org.
2. Click on “My Profile” near the upper left of your screen.
3. Scroll about three-quarters down the page to “Listserve Selections.”
4. Highlight the listserve(s) you want to join (hold down the Ctrl key to join more than one).
5. Click on “Save.”
6. Within a few minutes you will receive a welcome email with instructions on how to send messages on a listserve.
7. Send a question or comment, and start interacting with your colleagues!
When changing your profile, don’t forget to select other listserves to fit your needs. Log on to Vital Link™ today! Forgot your password? Contact Academy headquarters.
AAMA Regional Directors Elected; New Alaska State Director
· AAMA members selected their Board of Directors representatives in elections ending September 28, Nominating Committee Chair Janet L. Jones, FAAMA, announced. This election begins implementation of AAMA’s new governance structure, effective January 1, 2006, and includes the realignment of AAMA’s geographical representation from seven to four regions. Elections for Regions II – IV were uncontested. In 2006, elections will be held for Regions I and III, establishing a normal cycle of two regional elections per year.
o Region I: In a close election, Region I voters selected Thomas E. Battles, FAAMA, CEO, Baltimore, MD, over Benjamin G. M. Feril, FAAMA, FACCP, to represent the states of CT, DE, DC, ME, MD, MA, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT, VA, and WV for a one-year term.
o Region II: Guy L. Snyder, CFAAMA, Lecturer, University of IL, Champaign, IL, will represent IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, ND, OH, SD, WI, and Canada for a two-year term.
o Region III: Dennis Quagliani, VP, Contracts & Comm Support, Elekta Oncology Systems, Norcross, GA, will represent AL, AR, FL, GA, LA, MS, NC, OK, SC, TN, TX, Mexico, and the Caribbean for a one-year term.
o Region IV: Alan J. Burgess, CFAAMA, Tribal Health Admin – CEO, Owyhee Community Health Facility, Owyhee, NV, will represent AK, AZ, CA, CO, HI, ID, MT, NV, NM, OR, UT, WA, WY, and all other foreign locations for a two-year term.
· New Alaska State Director: The Academy welcomes Maj Brent A. Epling, USAF, CFAAMA, as the new State Director for Alaska. Find out what’s happening in your area by contacting your State Director today.
AAMA Welcomes Philips Medical Systems As Newest Strategic Partner
Philips Medical Systems of Bothell, WA, has joined AAMA’s growing pantheon of major corporate sponsors. Their $10,000 contribution defines their status as a Silver Level Strategic Partner for 2006-2007. The Academy is honored by their support.
Share Your Expertise; Submit an Article or Book Review to The AAMA EXECUTIVE
· Become a published author by submitting a case study, research project, or thesis paper for inclusion in The AAMA EXECUTIVE. Publication also earns you PAD points for advancement to Fellow or Diplomate in Healthcare Administration, and points for CAAMA recredentialing.
· Have you read a healthcare administration book, published in the last three years, that helped you work smarter? Submit a book review to The AAMA EXECUTIVE. Contact Editor, Laura Bowles, for details.
Spotlight on AAMA Conferences/Education
Reminder: There’s Still Time to Register for 48th AAMA Annual Conference
· Register now for the November 10-12 AAMA Conference in Las Vegas.
· Hotel reservations: contact the National Reservation Bureau (NRB) at 800/638-5553 or online at www.nrbinc.com for hotel availability. Unfortunately, rooms are no longer available at the Riviera Hotel and Casino for the night of November 10. Thank you for your understanding as we deal with the problem of a successful conference. Should additional rooms become available at the Riviera, we will post the information at www.aameda.org.
Register Now for AAMA Pre-Conference, November 10, Las Vegas
· The AAMA pre-conference session features Paul H. Keckley, PhD, of Vanderbilt Center for Evidence-based Medicine, speaking on Pay-for-Performance Programs and Evidence-based Medicine: What’s Going on and What’s Ahead?
· Time and date: November 10, 12:45-5:00 pm. To register, select the AAMA Conference + pre-conference package.
Mark Your Calendar for 2006 ACCA and AAMA Annual Conferences
AAMA listens to our members! In response to your feedback, please note the new 2006 conference days and dates:
· ACCA 17th Annual Cardiovascular Administrators’ Leadership Conference
Wednesday, March 8 – Friday, March 10, 2006, Sheraton Atlanta Hotel, Atlanta, GA. Conference and exhibit information coming soon on the AAMA website.
· 49th AAMA Annual Conference
Wednesday, November 1 – Friday, November 3, 2006, Sheraton Atlanta Hotel, Atlanta, GA
AAMA’s Credentials Programs
Join New Fellows & Further Your Career by Advancing in the Academy
· Congratulations to the following Academy members who advanced last month. They will be honored during a special ceremony at AAMA’s 48th Annual Conference in Las Vegas, in recognition of their commitment to excellence in healthcare administration: Kendrick J. Brown, FAAMA; David A. Cain, CAAMA, FACCP; Richard E. Carroll, CFAAMA; Leroy W. Harris, Jr., FAAMA; and William H. Lyerly, Jr., FAAMA, FACCP.
· Complete your advancement process at any time of the year. Investigate your options (Diplomate in Healthcare Administration, FAAMA, FACCA, FACCP, or FACMCA) and their requirements. Visit the AAMA website, or call 847/759-8601.
Register by October 14 for the November 9 CAAMA Exam at the 48th AAMA Annual Conference, Las Vegas
Schedule your exam before conference activities begin on November 9, 1:00-5:00 pm, at the Las Vegas Riviera Hotel and Casino. For details, see information online or contact [email protected]
Attention: 2002 CAAMAs and 2002 Recredentials
· Those who earned their CAAMA in 2002 or recredentialed in 2002 must recredential in 2005 to retain their CAAMA.
· Recredentialing information and application are available online. If you have questions, please contact [email protected] or call 847/759-8601.
· Are you short a point for recredentialing? Attend the 48th AAMA Annual Conference.
· Connie U. Stenquist, FAAMA, has accepted the position of Departmental CFO/Administrator for the Department of Pharmacology at Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN.
· Do you have professional news to share? Have you recently been promoted, written a book, published a paper, or received an award? Share your success with your colleagues and become a “member in the news.” Email AAMA headquarters, or call 847/759-8601 to tell us of your recent accomplishment.
AAMA GAIN-1 Member Recruitment Champions Named
· The Academy salutes three “AAMA Champions” whose superior efforts took them to the highest levels in the last twelve months, earning them special recognition through the GAIN-1 Program. Their championship efforts will be rewarded with complimentary 2006 AAMA membership dues, an Academy gift certificate, or registration to the 49th AAMA Annual Conference, November 1–3, 2006, in Atlanta, GA.
- The Gold Level is awarded to LTC Scott F. Tanner, CAAMA, FACCP, who achieved an all-time GAIN-1 record, recruiting 28 new AAMA members in the last year. Outstanding job, Scott!
- The Silver Level goes to Lt Col Philip E. Jones, CAAMA.
- The Bronze Level is presented to Carol Norris, FAAMA.
· It’s a new GAIN-1 year, and several new AAMA Champions have already encouraged new members to join. Kudos to: Michael L. Amaral; David A. Cain, CAAMA, FACCP; John J. Casey III; James R. Clapsaddle, CAAMA; James G. Easter, Jr., FAAMA; Clinton W. Schreckhise, CFAAMA; and Kenneth R. Wilson, CAAMA.
· Encourage a colleague to join AAMA. They’ll reap the benefits of membership, and you’ll receive GAIN-1 credit.
JobLink: Targeted Job Postings for the Healthcare Administrator
AAMA’s JobLink allows employers and employees to target their search with listings from organizations and executive recruiters specifically seeking qualified healthcare administrators. Pass this along to your HR recruiting department – AAMA members receive a 10% discount on job postings. To post an ad, go to JobLink advertising, e-mail Nancy Anderson, or call AAMA at 847/759-8601. Check out our current listings:
· Administrator of Cardiovascular Services, Bethesda, MD
· Cardiovascular Service Line Administrator, Media, PA
· Cardiovascular positions from the Langmas Group and the Magee Resource Group
Was the content in this issue useful? Do you have suggestions for improvement? Email your feedback to AIM Editor, Laura Bowles, MBA, to let us know what you think. If you know members who do not receive this newsletter or AAMA’s other e-communications, forward their name and email address to [email protected]
Back to top
Don’t Delay! Earn Your CAAMA!
Exams to earn your CAAMA Credential are scheduled on these dates:
|17th ACCA Cardiovascular Leadership Conference
Deadline: February 14, 2006
Exam Date: March 8, 2006
|March 8-10, 2006 Sheraton Atlanta Hotel
|2006 AAMA Annual Conference
Deadline: October 6, 2006
Exam Date: October 31, 2006
|November 1-3, 2006 Sheraton Atlanta Hotel
|By Request||AAMA Headquarters Des Plaines, IL
|By Special Arrangement
At your location proctored by a current CAAMA or Education/Testing/HR department. Dates and proctor must be approved by AAMA before your registration will be accepted.
Direct questions on all exam dates to our Education/Governance Coordinator.
Mark your Calendar: Back to top
|New! AAMA Summer Institute
Management Fundamentals for Upcoming Oncology & CV Leaders
|August 16-18, 2006 Chicago City Centre
|49th AAMA Annual Conference||November 1-3, 2006 Sheraton Atlanta Hotel
|ACCA’s 18th Cardiovascular Administrators’ Leadership Conference||March 21-23, 2007 Intercontinental New Orleans
New Orleans, LA
|AAMA Summer Institute||August 2007 (Tentative)|
|50th AAMA Annual Conference||October 31 – November 2, 2007 Town & Country Resort and Conference Center
San Diego, CA
|ACCA’s 19th Annual Cardiovascular Administrators’ Leadership Conference||March 26-28, 2008 (Tentative)
|AAMA Summer Institute||August 2008 (Tentative)
|51st AAMA Annual Conference||November 19-21, 2008 Hyatt Regency San Antonio
San Antonio, TX
Back to top